Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ang LOLA ng Bayan


(Click photos to check us out on Facebook)

On its 9th Empowering Season, DALUYANG SINING – The Channel/Program for Wholistic Development and Transformation under ArtisTREE Philippines is on tour again with its exciting and multi-sensory Storytelling Program dubbed as "ANG LOLA NG BAYAN" (The People's Grandmom) which features Severino Reyes' story, “Ang Alamat ng Lamok (The Legend of the Mosquito)" and other famous children's and Bible stories.




“ANG LOLA NG BAYAN” tries to be a simple project as possible. Future impact depends on how we join hands and contribute to bring its creative ministry of empowerment on a higher level of service. A fashion designer from University of the Philippines – TATAH GALIAS created this year’s Lola Basyang costume, while the music and sound design and artistic direction is by JOHN JURADO.


JOHN is a B.S. Literature graduate of Manila Bible Seminary. He also took up units on Technical Theatre and Management at the University of the Philippines, Diliman. Last April 2011, he contributed to the 31st Provincial Convention of the Churches of Christ in Mindoro & Romblon as Creative Director.


And yes, this year’s Daluyang Sining Lola Basyang-Storyteller is being brought to life by PAM MEDINA-REFUGIO, a Mass Communication (Journalism major) graduate from Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Sta. Mesa, Manila. She's the TV program ASIN at ILAW  scriptwriter, and now a happy wife and mother. Playing the role of a legendary character is a new dimension in her ministry.


Currently she is the President of ICWB (Integrated Christian Women of Bataan). She's a part-time production artist of GNPI (Good News Productions, International) – Philippines, and women’s leader in her local church at Balanga City, Bataan. She is very confident that despite her busy schedule, she will never overlook her fulltime ministry as wife and mother, and an actor by heart. Truly she is now the PAMbansang Lola ng Bayan!


MY "LOLA B"  EXPERIENCE by Pam Medina-Refugio



The 29th day of the month February seldom appears on the calendar.. only in leap years. Yet I will always remember this date because my first storytelling as “Lola ng Bayan” took place this February 29 when I visited the Alasasin Christian Kiddie School in Mariveles, Bataan – both their morning and afternoon classes.   

It was a very thrilling day. Children and parents gathered around me to hear Severino Reyes’ “Ang Alamat Ng Lamok.” It’s a story that teaches every person to be a good steward of the Earth, for this is one of God’s great gifts to humanity.


On the next day, I visited the Bagong Silang Day Care Center in Balanga, Bataan, where my four-year-old son goes to school. The level of excitement hasn’t gone down, for I saw sparks in the eyes of children and parents who were there, hanging around to hear the story.


After that storytelling engagement, I went home with much joy in my heart, believing that somehow, I have spared some knowledge both to the young and old, through the person of “Lola B.” I was very happy walking towards home, with my son who was helping me out with my very long skirt.  


Upon reaching our house, my director, JOHN JURADO, asked me to make some poses for picture-taking. So we stayed outside and had pictorials. As we were doing this, we were both surprised with the number of children who surrounded us. I could hear John saying, “Lola, magkwento po kayo.” An eyebrow of mine elevated a bit. It’s as if I was in the middle of a “there’s no way out” scenario. At the back of my mind, there were questions. Am I really doing this? Right here on this street where my neighbors know who I really am?  John was really pushing me to do it. He asked a child to get the book.. and there, it was handed over to me.


I couldn’t explain what happened next. It’s like I was being possessed by Lola B’s spirit. I started to ask the children if they really want to hear a story. With their answers, I’ve sensed it – they didn’t just want to hear a story. They were actually dying to hear a story! So I started to tell it.. and everything came about naturally.


That most recent storytelling – that on the street.. unplanned, imperfectly scored, is I think one of the best ministering opportunities I’ve ever had! Children of different ages, people from all walks of life.. My neighbors were there.. standing outside their gates, listening to Lola B!


God, indeed, has turned that unplanned moment into a very organized, transforming event!


Oh well, there’s one more thing I’d like to confess.. When I was elected as the new ICWB (Integrated Christian Women of Bataan) President, there were also questions in my mind. Why me, Lord? I am the youngest woman among ICWB officers! Would I really be able to lead them?? They are almost like mothers to me.. women who are double my age! I am so thankful to God for answering me in a very unique way. Whenever I’m in the person of Lola B, i have authority over everybody. Real grandmothers see me as their colleague. Children respect me and do whatever I say. Most of all, a funny but striking gesture from my co-ICWB officers.. they are reaching for my hand, asking me to bless them! For truly, they see me as an authoritative, old woman, full of wisdom. Why would I want to miss something like that?? I would always love to extend my hand to everyone, blessing them in the name of the Lord!


The year 2012 is a LEAP year. I pray that this would be the year where God would literally bestow me a LEAP of faith!




Daluyang Sining’s “ANG LOLA NG BAYAN” is an empowerment program. It can be your organization’s community service project or a personal advocacy vehicle to creatively make a difference in your family, barangay, professional arena and beyond.


 


UNSTOPPABLE! An on-the-spot storytelling on the street! Community children mobbed us at Boungainvilla Street, right in front of Pam's house in Brgy. Bagong Silang, Balanga City, Bataan. This came about while we were having pictorials as a way of cooling down from an exhausting yet fun-filled storytelling session. That pictorial turned into another storytelling session! We were awestruck with how God turns ordinary situations into life-transforming and ministering opportunities.


To experience and integrate Daluyang Sining projects to your venture, contact us at 09082003020 or email us at daluyangsining@gmail.com.

LIKE us on Facebook too! Click this.


"ANG LOLA NG BAYAN" storyteller Pamela Medina-Refugio. Costume by Tatah Galias. Creatives and design by John Jurado.

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, lovely and beautiful blog about Mozilla Firefox Technical Support. So thanks a lot for sharing needful information........!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...